Bachelor of Commerce, University of Natal, Pmb (1990 - 1992)
Honours in Business Economics, UNISA (1993 - 1995)
Master Coaching Certification (International Coaching Federation)
Coaching Master Practitioner (COMENSA)
Accredited facilitator of the Clarity 4D™ profile
Accredited facilitator of the Strength Deployment Inventory™ (2.0)
Accredited 5LQ Enneagram facilitator
Accredited Neurozone Advanced Coach
An accredited Persolog DISC facilitator
Mentor coach for SACAP (the SA College of Applied Psychology)
Accredited Advanced Facilitator through First Facilitation
Trained executive facilitator through The Dalmau Network
If you’re in the midst of a crisis, navigating a transition period at work, a critical milestone in your life, or simply need someone to help you envision a different perspective, Karen brings a thoughtful and collaborative process to coaching.
The majority of Karen’s corporate career was spent in Business Development at a professional services firm (EY), where she account managed key clients and trained key account management methodology nationally. She was also trained as a facilitator of the national Leadership through Diversity programme which she facilitated throughout South Africa.
Karen transitioned from Corporate in 2008 and set up practice as an independent facilitator and coach, to be more flexible around her two young sons. She currently facilitates and coaches in both the Corporate, Public sector and NGO environments, helping high potential individuals be more effective in the management of self and their teams. Her coaching clients describe her as engendering, “a sense of trust and confidence” and being “empathetic” in her approach.
Karen has been instrumental in the launch of parental transition coaching to the South African marketplace and has a passion for women navigating critical milestones. Karen has worked abroad in the UK and at an actuarial firm in Singapore, is married to a colourist and is mother to two teen boys.
Examples of key coaching projects:
• Karen has served as an Executive Coach for a global coaching platform, working in parallel with different leadership programmes at Global Consulting houses (including Accenture), Oil & Gas companies and global retailers. She has also coached in support of the Stanford leadership programme for the past three years. She has coached leaders from Manager to Director/Partner level.
• Karen has also worked as a Team coach conducting Coaching Circles for various organisations including global oil & gas companies and media houses. Subject matter has included Leader as Coach, Building Resilience and Navigating Change.
• Karen serves as a mentor coach to SACAP (the SA College of Applied Psychology)
• Karen has been instrumental in launching Parental Transition Coaching to the SA market place at professional services and major law firms across Africa, including Webber Wentzel and CDH.
• Deloitte – Karen facilitated Worldsview’s Purposeful Teams programme for three national account teams at Deloitte
•Provided a year’s executive coaching programme to a team of ten graduates as part of Sanlam Investment Management’s Graduate Recruitment Programme
• Karen provided executive leadership coaching and team facilitation of the Clarity 4D profile for a leadership team at GIZ (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit)
• Karen has provided executive leadership coaching in a number of UN agencies on behalf of Unloq including UNDP and UNHCR
• Provided executive transition coaching for a founder/COO of a Rwandan-based NGO
• Provided Executive Team Coaching to the Department of Transport and Public Works (DTPW) Educational Infrastructure and General Infrastructure departments
• Karen designed and facilitated team building workshops for the Country Directors and Senior Management Teams for a Global NGO involved in the prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV AIDS.
• Karen coached two organisations (team and individual level) on behalf of the DG Murray Trust as part of their Fellowship
• Karen designed and facilitated Clarity4D team building workshops for the Kheth’Impilo Support Services teams in Cape Town and the entire Monitoring and Evaluation function across Cape Town and Buffalo City in setting them up for a new US Aid funded HIV programme.
What Karen’s client say:
I had the unique pleasure to work with Karen in an executive coaching capacity. Her approach is wonderful – she asks questions to elicit self realized responses rather than being overly “preachy.” She has been exposed to a wealth of different resources that help to enhance her advice and to offer different perspectives. At a critical period of transition in my professional life, Karen was a godsend. I am thankful to have worked with her as I navigated through a challenging period at work. Karen is a thoughtful and collaborative leader. Her tone and style are welcoming and warm, and she is extremely thorough in providing in-session and post session feedback. I would recommend that anyone work with Karen without hesitation! – Director, Accenture (US)
Karen is an excellent coach! Non-judgmental, empathetic and professional. I have valued the practical treasures of references provided, links to pertinent articles, practical guidelines, assisting me to think and put things in perspective, and her ability to meet me at my point of need rather than at the point where we last left off – often business unusual – I truly valued her agility – thank you. Definitely debunked my initial skepticism about the value of coaching – it motivated, guided and enabled me to be reflective of old patterns and challenged be to be more purposeful in the attainment of desired outcomes. – Senior Component Manager, GIZ (SA)
I spent nearly a year with Karen as my guide and coach. Karen’s empathy and skilful listening has provided me with an excellent foundation for both personal and career growth. Through her coaching, I was able to connect the dots and create clarity, where independently I would still be “spinning my wheels.” I now have a true sense of where I am headed, and a plan to take me there. My experience has made me an advocate of coaching, and a strong supporter of Karen’s work. I cannot recommend her highly enough. – GSB Senior Researcher